Harwell Bells

Bells have been rung in Harwell for almost 400 years. In 1932 two additional bells were added to the older 6 which are now the oldest existing ring of 6 in the world. ( See F.Sharpe, The Church bells of Berkshire p 127)

Since 1932 there have been 8 bells and a Sanctus bell; the tenor weighs 16-1-26 (cwt-qr-lb), diameter 47" in E.

 

bell no.
weight cwt-qr-lb
date cast
founder
inscription
treble
4-1-24
1932
Taylor of Loughborough
* TAYLORS * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * 1932 TO THE GLORY OF GOD THIS PEAL OF SIX BELLS  WAS COMPLETELY RESTORED & TWO NEW BELLS WERE ADDED BY THE BARRON BELL TRUST IN 1932 EMMA BARRON, FOUNDER OF THE BARRON BELL TRUST. F.HOPKINS, P.M.WALROND, H.W.ELDRED, TRUSTEES. (T)
2
4-3-7
1932
Taylor of Loughborough
* TAYLORS * FOUNDERS * LOUGHBOROUGH * 1932 (T)
3
5-3-11
1611
William Yare Reading
HYMFRIE LODER GAVE THIS BELL 1611 W (8) Y
4
6-3-2
1590
Joseph Carter  Reading
Praise ye the lorde 1590 (C) I (6) C
5
8-0-14
1611
William Yare Reading
THIS BELL WAS MADE 1611 W (8) Y
6
9-3-11
1612
William Yare Reading
THIS BELL WAS MADE 1612 W (8) Y
7
13-1-27
1597
Joseph Carter  Reading
ThiS bell WaS Made in the Yeare of our lorde 1597 J (8) C
tenor
16-1-26
1612
William Yare Reading
THIS BELL WAS MADE 1612  W (8) Y
sanctus
1-3-0#
~1770
Robert Wells of Aldbourne
R : WELLS ABOURN

 

Notes
1. in the inscriptions (T) means the Founders Mark of Taylors, (C) is the impression of a coin,
numbers in (), e.g. (6) or (8) refer to figure numbers in F.Sharpe's book
2. on the 4th, the 9 in the date 1590 is reversed it looks more like a p with a sloping tail.
3. The canons of the larger bells were removed in 1932. The Sanctus is the only bell left with canons

 

Click here for a list of Tower Captains

Click here for pictures of the bells